Howard Sandler knows how to create a portrait that will show you at your best.
Howard specializes in portraiture and has studied classical posing and lighting techniques. He has been photographing since the 1970s.
Some of his achievements:
- Won accolades of excellence for two images at the Wedding and Portrait Photographers International 16x20 print competition in Las Vegas, 2009.
- Won the Canadian Association for Photographic Art (CAPA) gold medal, fall digital open competition 2008 and silver medal 2009
- Won the RA Photo club highest overall score, intermediate general category, several years in a row.
- Won first places in two categories of orchid photos at the Ottawa Orchid Society show in 2017.
- Authored "In praise of the humble Ricoh Diacord" in Film Shooters Collective online journal, August 2017.
- Authored “Photographing Oriental Dancers” in Canadian Camera magazine, Fall 2007.
- Contributed 4 photos for the West Ottawa Rotary Club Cash Calendar 2010.
Commercial clients include the National Capital Commission, Infrastructure Canada, District Realty, Healthwise Ottawa Magazine and Leapfrog Lighting.
Howard took the before-and-after photos and team photos for the Ottawa Makeover Project for three years.
Howard often photographs community events pro bono and his work has appeared in the Ottawa Citizen and le Droit.
Howard received the "Volunteer of the Year" award for 2009 from Jewish Family Services of Ottawa seniors support unit, for his help driving seniors to appointments and delivering meals on wheels.
Howard, his wife Viviane Ohana Sandler live in Ottawa and have two sons Raphaël and Maxim.